With high expectations and in a safe environment we believe that Spruance students can achieve and become life-long learners.
The Spruance School is dedicated to excellence. Spruance is a teaching and learning community. Instruction is child-centered and developmentally appropriate. All students are afforded the opportunity to achieve to their full potential in order to become life long learners and responsible members of the community. Emphasis is placed on the involvement of staff, parents, children and community as partners in education. Our students are prepared to be successful and productive human beings.
History of Spruance School
Spruance School is located in the heart of Oxford Circle at the corner of Levick and Horrocks Streets. It was named for Gilbert Spruance, a manufacturer, born on April 1, 1874. Spruance was very active in Democratic politics and was a member of the Board of Public Education from 1933 until his death on January 1, 1944.
Since its early days, the Gilbert Spruance School has been known for high academics achievement and innovative programs. The first principal of Spruance School was Max Myers, so beloved, that after his death in August 1954, both the Spruance School Library and the playground next to the school were dedicated in his memory. Other principals of the school included Joseph Goldstein, Theodore Hochberg, Joseph Agin, Harold Lampert, Carl Walz, Patricia Reilly, and Betty Klear.
The school opened in September 1950 with thirty classrooms. Four years later, the school was so overcrowded that students in grades one to four attended half days until an annex with nine classrooms opened in October 1955. Spruance has been both a K-8 school and a K-6 school, and is currently a K-8 school with nearly 1300 students. In 1960 there were 1600 students at the Spruance School.
Principal’s Points of Pride
- Active Home and School Association
- Little School House for grades K-2
- Active Student Council
- National Junior Honor Society
- Mentally Gifted Program
- Technology integrated throughout the school: 5 computers in each classroom, wireless access, Promethean Boards, laptop carts
- Student teachers from area colleges
- Eagles Nest- Partnership with Philadelphia Eagles to create new play space for Spruance students and the community
- Faculty includes Rose Lindenbaum Improvement of Education and Dr. Ruth Hayre Teacher of the Year Award winners
- Boys and Girls Basketball Teams
- Men of Spruance and Girls Rule Mentoring Program
- No Place for Hate diversity training
- City Wide Oratorical Contest Winner
- Penn Relays
- Nine West Shoe Company Partnership